Basic information about the temple
|Moolavar:||Munivasagaswami||Ambal / Thayar:||Madhurabhashini|
|Timing:||to & to||Parikaram:|
|Temple group:||Vaippu Sthalam||–|
|Sung by:||Temple set:|
|City / town:||Neithavasal||District:||Nagapattinam|
|Maps from (click):||Current location||Mayiladuthurai (31 km)||Nagapattinam (57 km)|
|Thiruvarur (62 km)||Kumbakonam (68 km)|
Sthala puranam and temple information
There is no sthala puranam available for this temple. However, in one of the older texts, this temple is mentioned, with the alternative name of Kailasanathar for the moolavar.
Sangam literature mentions this place as Neithalankaanal near Kaveripoompattinam (Poompuhar). Given its location, this may be that place. Around 1500-2000 years ago, there was a massive flood in the Kaveri river, resulting in much of Kaveripoompattinam being submerged and lost. At that time, Kaveripoompattinam is described as being a vast city. Neithavasal today is likely the remnants of Kaveripoompattinam after the flood.
Likely to have been built as a structural temple during the Chola period, what we see today is almost entirely a brick and mortar temple. however, the vimanam over the garbhagriham and the Amman shrine are simple but very well done. These, and the barely visible vavvaal-nethi mandapam, are the only indications that this would likely have been a Chola temple.
The temple has no raja gopuram; instead there is a flat arch serving as its gopuram. Inside, Munivasaga Swami is under a rudraksha pandal, facing east, while Amman faces south. There are separate shrines for Vinayakar, Murugan, Bhairavar and Saneeswaran, in the prakaram. The usual koshta deities – Dakshinamurti, Annamalaiyar, Brahma and Durga – are also present.
Other information for your visit
This is a simple temple, and although normal temple timings are published, it is rarely visited. Puja takes place only once a day. Nonetheless, even if the temple is closed, locals nearby have keys and will be able to let devotees inside for worship.
Srinivasa Sivacharyar: 9894861964